Counseling and Case Management Services
Extended Family Support
The Extended Family Support Program provides short term services to relative caregivers that are not involved in the formal child welfare system. The goals of EFS are to:
- Assist relative caregivers in obtaining private guardianship of the child
- Assist relative caregivers in obtaining the child-only grant and/or other services
- Assist school aged children in enrolling in the relative caregiver’s school system
- Assist in obtaining basic goods and services needed to maintain a stable home for the child
- Link relative caregivers to community resources to meet other needs
Family Drug Court
In collaboration with the 17th Judicial Court, DCFS, Rosecrance, and Tasc, Family Drug Court is designed to help children be reunited with their parents who are working on recovery. YSN provides the mental health assessment and services to the parents.
Guiding Individuals and Families Therapeutically (GIFT)
The GIFT counseling program serves youth who have been sexually and/or physically abused or are victims of domestic violence. Services offered include individual and family counseling for children and non-offending parents. Parent coaching, therapeutic visitation and individualized parent education sessions are also offered. All services are trauma-informed and community-based. Medicaid and some MCO providers are accepted. DCFS and Private agency referrals are accepted.
Intensive Placement Stabilization (IPS)
IPS provides psychotherapy, intensive case management and wraparound services to foster children and foster families in order to maintain and to strengthen family units. The goals of IPS are:
- Ensure the safety, permanency and well-being of children
- Stabilize foster care placements
- Facilitate youth development
- Referrals are made by DCFS and POS agency staff
- YSN provides IPS services in Winnebago, Boone, and McHenry Counties
The Life Skills program, which is based on the evidence based Casey Life Skills Assessment, provides age appropriate life skill activities to youth in DCFS care. YSN provides individualized or group training to achieve the highest priority learning goals that promote self-sufficiency. YSN utilizes “learning by doing” training methods. The primary goal is to help youth develop the tools needed to better transition to independent living and to prepare for post-secondary education or vocational training.
Parenthood Promise (PHP)
The goal of Parenthood Promise is to provide a holistic, strength-based support to Ellis Elementary families by working with parents to ensure children graduate from high school. Monthly Child and Family Team meetings and weekly case management for the parents allows for individual and family goal planning. Tutoring and mentoring are provided to the children. There are Parent Empowerment workshops and cultural enrichment activities for the entire family. A Parent Advisory Board helps determine the activities for PHP families. Parenthood Promise is modeled after Geoffrey Canada’s Harlem Children’s Zone.